Hobbies/Mamod

Piston42

Hobbies/Mamod

Message non lu par Piston42 »

Juillet 2010 - Ebay.uk

Hobbies SE4 en bel état d'origine avec logo encore partiellement présent, mais brûleur absent.
Prix : £720 - 860€

Texte du vendeur :

Here I a selling a very rare Hobbies twin live steam engine, made by Geoffrey Malins who later founded the Mamod company. He made these for Hobbies in the mid to late 1930’s, this type of engine is very hard to find these days. This example has been in my own collection for many years and is complete, except for the burner and is all original. Would benefit from careful stripping down and cleaning and possible repainting black of the firebox and boiler strap. Still has original Hobbies transfer to base. Measures approx 5 inches high and the base is 6.5 by 7.5 inches.

Piston42

Re: Hobbies/Mamod

Ocotbre 2010 - Ebay.uk

Machine à vapeur Hobbies SE3 en bel état d'origine et complète hormis le brûleur qui est absent et le logo qui a disparu.
Prix : £570 - 647€

Texte du vendeur :
ORIGINAL 1936 HOBBIES/ MAMOD SE3 STEAM ENGINE

Now here's an exciting find: this must be one of the very first few SE3's made by Geoffrey Malins as he was establishing the Mamod company... the darker paint colours point to it being a Hobbies model from 1936 ( thanks for pointing this out, Mike ), and the lack of an oiler also points to an early date. Importantly, Mike has also pointed out that there's no whistle, so this firmly pinpoints the engine as one of the very first of its type, before the addition of whistle and lubricator, and as such it is a great rarity. Also- the piston cylinder seems to be an all-in-one casting, whereas I recall the ends being soldered on in previous examples that I've had. You can sense that G.M. was still feeling his way a little, as the drilled Meccano holes are visibly closer to the baseplate's edge on the left, the boiler ends are slightly imperfectly put together, and although the boiler and engine are very solidly engineered, the tinplate boiler strap and firebox are made of very thin sheet. I took it all apart to remove the mass of soot that was clinging to it, and found that the strap is so thin that it could snap if correctly bent to hold the boiler down, so I've left it as it is (a bit loose) and will pack it so that the boiler is supported safely for shipping. If it were for me, I'd make a new boiler strap, but I'll leave the buyer to choose... it ain't rocket science anyway.

Similarly, I haven't gone overboard with cleaning it, as some people polish them up to look newer than new, while others like the patina of age, which I've tried to leave. The paintwork is original and pretty good, and it runs marvellously on air. There's no burner, but good repro's are easily obtained. There can't be many of these knocking around, so don't miss the opportunity to acquire one of the earliest Mamod/ Hobbies engines around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Octobre 2010 - Ebay.uk

Machine à vapeur Mamod Minor 1 (MM1), peut-être d'avant_guerre ou de 1946, en bon état et complet hormis le brûleur qui est absent.
Prix : £82 - 93€

Texte du vendeur :
EARLY FLAT BED MAMOD MINOR STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE

HERE IS, WHAT I THINK IS, A PRE WAR MAMOD MINOR. I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE BEFORE SO I HAVE NOTHING TO COMPARE IT WITH BUT FROM WHAT I CAN FIND OUT IT MAY BE 1937-1939 BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN

IT HAS MAMOD MINOR ON THE SOLID FLYWHEEL AND IS ON A FLAT BASE

FOR SOME REASON THE BASE HASNT BEEN PAINTED UNDERNEATH

I HAVE HAD TO CLEAN THE BOILER AS IT WAS BADLY SOOTED UP. BUT HAVING CLEANED IT, IT LOOKS TO BE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION

THE BOILER BAND IS COPPER IN COLOUR BUT IT IS STEEL AND IS A LITTLE FRAGILE BUT STILL HAS SOME LIFE LEFT IN IT

I THINK THE PAINT IS ALL ORIGINAL BUT THERE IS SOME PAINT LOSS, PLEASE SEE PHOTOS

THE SAFETY VALVE MAY NEED A NEW WASHER AT THE TOP, IT IS ALL FREE AND LOOKS TO BE WORKING OK

THE FIRE BOX IS SOUND ALTHOUGH THERE IS SOME PAINT LOSS THROUGH HEAT AND AGE!

THE PISTON ROD AND CONNECTING EYE IS ALL IN ONE PIECE

THE CYLINDER LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN MACHINED OUT OF ONE PIECE TOO

THERE IS NO BURNER WITH IT

IT HAS BEEN TESTED ON COMPRESSED AIR ONLY AND IT IS IN GOOD CLEAN CONDITION AND SEEMS TO BE IN A GOOD WORKING ORDER - IN FACT, WHEN I TESTED IT ON COMPRESSED AIR I WAS SURPRISED HOW WELL IN RAN, GIVEN ITS AGE

A VERY KIND EBAYER (WHO IS FAR MORE KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THESE ENGINES THAN I AM ) HAS SAID THIS ENGINE DATES FROM BETWEEN 1946-1949. i HAVE POSTED THE QUESTION SO YOU CAN SEE IT BELOW.

Piston42

Octobre 2010 - Ebay.uk

Machine à vapeur Mamod SE4 en bon état d'origine et avec son brûleur, mais soupape de sécurité, bouchon de trop-plein et levier du sifflet absents, logo "Mamod" disparu.
Prix : £842 - 943€

Texte du vendeur :
Hobbies / mamod SE4 stationary steam engine . these were first built by Malins Works in 1936 and at the time were the top of the Hobbies range of engines- this model was also the first twin cylinder engine Hobbies made.

The SE4 features cast brass engine frames, all hand drilled and filed/finished. Inline oiler, whistle, exhaust to chinney,turned brass pistons were all included in the design and manufacture of this engine.

its in original condition. all threads and inserts on the safety valve/whistle/boiler etc are in undamaged condiion. However over the past years the Whistle handle/safety valve and boiler level plug as been lost. You can get reproduction items from 'MFsteam'.

Piston42

Ebay.uk - Octobre 2010

Mamod SE1 flatbase de 1936/1946 en très bel état d'origine, très bien conservée et complète avec brûleur, boîte et entonnoir, logo Mamod très bien conservé.
Prix : £260,50 - 306,50€

Texte du vendeur :
PRE-WAR 1936 MAMOD SE1 FLAT BASE STEAM ENGINE with ORIGINAL BOX

Up for auction is a pre-war Mamod SE1 flat base steam engine. I’ll start by saying I know very little about this type of thing so I shall only be saying what I have learnt from a quick look on Google and what I see in front of me. This little engine has a red painted base plate and the engine boiler is sitting on a black painted tin base. It has what looks like a funnel at the front though this does not seem to do anything as it is not connected to anything other than the red painted base. It has a single pipe connecting it to a small simple engine that has a large silver coloured flywheel. The boiler is heated with a slot-in burner with two wicks. It also has what, I assume, is its original tin and brass filling funnel. The engine still has its original card box. The lid of the box is very faintly printed (with a rubber stamp) with what I think reads: MAMOD STEAM ENGINE SE1. It also has its original price of 16 shillings written in the corner. The box is quite tatty and creased and it has been chewed by a mouse. Interestingly, the box still has its piece of string fitted inside so that the engine could be tied down so that it did not move in the box. As I know absolutely nothing about this type of thing I have not tried to see if it still works. I will point out that the filler cap on top of the boiler appears to be stuck. I have not tried to open it for fear that I may damage something that I don’t understand but it may just need somebody with stronger fingers than me. As to the condition of the engine to me it looks to be in VERY GOOD condition. I would think by the look of it that it has not been used very much at all. The brass of the boiler, chimney and piston cylinder still retain their original lacquer. The tin boiler stand has lost a little bit (scratches) of its black paint and there is a little bit of light rust. The flat metal base has its original red paint and its original Mamod transfer. The Mamod transfer has the odd slight scratch (see photo). As somebody who does not know anything about this type of thing I would think this is in very good untouched condition and certainly, if I was a collector of steam engines, I would want to find them in this sort of condition. The base measures 14 cm (5 1/2 inches) square and the chimney measures 11.2 cm (4 3/8 inch) in height.

Verrouillé

Retourner vers « Bibliothèque des ventes, ebay, leboncoin et autres. »